Today my boys are one month old. I cannot believe they have just completed their first entire month of life. This has been the fastest month of my life, to be honest I can hardly remember any of it! I know that sounds awful, who forgets the first month of their children’s life? It is not so much that I forgot it has just been a haze of feeling overwhelmed, many sleepless nights, days of just trying to make it through the day, learning how to juggle being a wife, going to school, and being a mom to two precious boys, and figuring out how to maintain a house and cook dinner. I don’t think I could have made it through this month without my parents. They have been amazing! There are many mornings I feel like “what have I gotten myself into, I can’t even go to the bathroom let alone take a shower, do laundry or make dinner…”. It is then that my Mom and Dad walk through the door and I at least get to go to the bathroom or eat lunch. They have no idea how much I appreciate them! This first month has been a month of learning and adjustments. When we found out we were expecting twins we had no idea what we were in for. How could we? We have never had a baby, let alone two! How do you prepare for something you have never experienced.
There are so many things I have learned this month…
- Mommy guilt is a very real thing and it is no fun! I am not sure how to get rid of it either, I just have to make decisions that Jeremy and I feel are best for our family and not look back or consider what ifs.
- Sleep is necessary and some may say it is overrated but it is not, it is a glorious wonderful thing that we very rarely get to experience anymore.
- Conversations with my Hubby are way more entertaining at 3am when we both have had a month of sleepless nights.
- Your conversation over dinner now consists of the boy’s bowel movements and what their poop looks like….
- You must have 2 boppys if you have twins, are bottle feeding, and ever plan on feeding them on your own.
- When you walk into your bedroom after a 3am feeding and your Hubby has spit up all over his shirt and shorts you can’t help but laugh.
- It is ok to laugh if both babies are crying hysterically at the same time, sometimes the best thing to do is just to laugh.
- If you have both babies on your own and your Hubby comes home and the house is a mess, dinner is not made, and you are still in your pajamas it is ok.
- If your laundry is done but sitting on the couch and not put away in the closet your day has been a success!! Everyone will at least have clean clothes!
- Small victories become large victories, treasure each one.
- Every day gets a little better, and if the babies cry a little it is ok, I promise it won’t kill them.
- The first day you are able to make dinner while having both babies on your own is a huge success worth celebrating!
- You can hold two babies and carry two bottles, two blankets, and a boppy, but holding two babies while they are hysterically crying and trying to open the dishwasher which contains all the bottles is extremely difficult.
- You will be peed on more times than you care to know….
One month ago…
These are just a few of the lessons I have learned
over the last month, there are so many more that my sleep deprived brain cannot think of at this moment. To be honest our first month has been full of more laughter than tears, more smiles than frowns, more joy than stress. This month has been amazing, a beautiful start to our new life as a family of four. Throughout the month I have had many people ask me if the boys are twins when we are out and about, after responding yes their next response is “double trouble” or “better you than me”. To be honest I think the boys are a double blessing and I would much rather it be me with two precious babies than them. These two have brought so much joy to Jeremy and I. Having twins has actually brought Jeremy and I closer. Since we have two babies taking care of them is a team effort. When he is home he helps with all the feedings, snuggles, burps, diaper changes and baths, he is understanding when the laundry isn’t done or dinner is not ready, he hugs me when I am feeling overwhelmed, he watches the boys so I can shower or sneak that extra hour of sleep. I don’t know what I would do without him, without my team mate. I thought having twins would put stress on our relationships and yes it has been an adjustment, we are learning that our life will never look the same and letting go of some of the things we enjoyed doing before the babies arrived, but overall it has made our relationship stronger and brought us closer together because we have done it together.
This month was the first month we were a family of four, it was the month I got to know my two precious boys, it was the month that I learned about mommy guilt, it was the month I fell in love with my husband in whole new amazing way, it was the month I became a mom and my best friend became a dad, it was the month I decided I wouldn’ t want our life to look any different in all its new mom, new born twins, sleep deprived craziness it is amazing and I am excited for all the months we have the opportunity to enjoy as a family of four! When I get the chance to stop and really absorb all the changes that have occurred in my life in the past month I am amazed that God chose to bless me this way. I know I won’t be sleep deprived forever, I won’t be a first time mom forever, I one day will have the laundry put away, toilets clean and dinner on the table, one day I will be able to paint my toes again or return texts and phone calls, one day we will have a routine, and on that day I can really look around and realize how truly blessed I am, until then I plan on enjoying every minute, soaking up all the laughs, getting to know my two boys, and treasuring every small victory. My boys are one month old today, one amazing month, one month full of joy and discovering and I had the opportunity to watch two new precious boys discover the world around them. Happy one month boys! I love you more than you will ever know and feel immensely blessed to have the opportunity to be your Mom! I am so excited for all the months of discovering we have ahead of us!